Perfect catch emphasises a variety of strategies for keeping the ball off the ground, particularly overhead passing.
3 - 4, Skill Development, Game Concepts
- 1 soft core ball per player
- 1 glove per player (optional)
- Play in groups of 6-8.
- Each player is given a letter; 1 player begins with the ball.
- The player throws the ball into the air and calls out another player’s letter.
- The player with that letter attempts to catch the ball while other players run away.
- If the ball is caught, the player immediately throws the ball into the air while calling out another letter.
- The game repeats
- If the ball is dropped, the player fielding the ball calls ‘FREEZE’.
- Players freeze.
- The player with the ball has 1 turn to roll the ball at a frozen player.
- If the player doesn’t hit a frozen player, they throw the ball back in the air again and call out another letter.
- Allow 1 bounce before the catch if required
- Reduce the size of the playing area
- Add in an additional ball; spread the players out more or delay calling out the letter
Encourage players to be aware of others and the space around them, particularly when moving to catch the ball
- How could we throw the ball to make it harder for the fielders?
- Can we call something else other than a letter?