Runners and throwers combines fielding and striking. Finding space is a key challenge for the batter. Activity levels are increased in a fun way for both the batters and fielders.
3 - 4, 5 - 6, Skill Development, Game Concepts
Catching, Fielding, Shot Placement, Striking, Teamwork, Throwing
- 1 foam ball (or similar) per group
- 1 batting tee per group
- 1 foam bat per group
- 5 marker cones per group
- Divide your players into 1 fielding team and 1 batting team.
- Place the fielding team in a line along a marked diamond.
- The batting team hits a ball off the tee to the fielders’ line. the batter drops the bat an runs from the tee to marker ‘A’.
- Once the ball is fielded, the fielding team must get the ball to marker ‘B’ then pass to each player down the line to marker ‘C’.
- The batter only stops running when the ball is placed on the ground at the end of the throwing line at marker ‘C’.
- Reduce the distance between marker cones
- Use a larger ball
- Players kick or throw the ball into play
- Encourage runners to run together as a team
- Ensure a safe distance around the batter at all times
- Where should you hit the ball to give your team the best chance of running around the markers?