Pairs fly balls (a fly ball is a batted ball that is caught on the full) is a fun cooperative activity that supports players to develop the fundamental movement skill of catching.
3 - 4, 5 - 6, Skill Development
- 1 soft core ball per pair
- 1 glove per player
- Players form pairs.
- On your signal, players throw fly balls to each other for 30 seconds.
- At the end of 30 seconds, the player with the ball moves to form a new pair.
- Throwing starts again.
- Vary the type of pass
- Encourage players to throw the ball over their partner’s head or out to the side
- Keep your eyes on the ball as you move toward it
- Watch the ball into your glove
- After 5 successful throws within the time limit each player moves back one step
- Encourage others to be aware of others and the space around them
- How can you increase the number of successful catches within the time limit?
- What do you need to do with you non-glove hand to make sure the ball stays in your glove?