Octopus is an energiser or warm-up that requires players to avoid being tagged whilst running along the lines.
F - 2, 3 - 4, Warm Up
ACPMP009, ACPMP029, ACPMP047
Locomotor Movement, Tagging
- 4 marker cones
- Players line up along one side of the diamond.
- 1 player is chosen to be ‘IT’ and stands in the middle of the field.
- When ‘IT’ calls ‘OCTOPUS’, players run from one side of the field to the other trying not to get tagged.
- If tagged, players must freeze but can assist by tagging players by moving only their arms.
- Continue until 1 person remains untagged.
- Look for ways for players who are tagged early to return to the game quickly.
- Ask both chasers and runners to work together to come up with a successful strategy.
On your call, vary the locomotion, ie running, hopping, skipping or jumping
- Start the game with more than 1 tagger
- When a player is tagged, the can also become a tagger
- Encourage players to be aware of others and the space around them
- What can we do to make this activity easier or harder?
- Would it be easier if the playing area was smaller?
- How can the ‘IT’ player tag more players?