In the zone is an introductory striking and fielding activity. The activity develops batting, fielding and decision-making skills.
3 - 4, 5 - 6, Skill Development, Game Concepts
Catching, Fielding, Shot Placement, Striking, Teamwork, Throwing
- 1 batting tee per group (optional)
- 1 soft core ball per group
- 1 glove per player
- 1 batting helmet per group
- 1 set of catcher’s gear per group
- Form 2 teams of 6.
- The batter hits the ball from a batting tee or pitched ball, aiming for a zone that will maximise runs.
- Fielders use gloves and return the ball to the pitcher.
- The batter also scores runs for each base reached before the fielder returns the ball to the pitcher.
- The catcher must wear full catching gear and the batter must wear a helmet.
- Players bat from a batting tee
- Pitch the ball underarm to the batter
- When fielding the ball, the fingers of the glove should point up for catches above the waist and down for catches below the waist
- Fielders score points for catching the ball on the full
- Where should the fielders position themselves to stop the ball?
- How do you modify your swing to hit the ball into particular areas of the field?