Purchase hard copy here
Ground ball is a rolling and trapping activity that leads to improved fielding skills.
F - 2, 3 - 4, Skill Development
ACPMP008, ACPMP025, ACPMP043
Catching, Fielding, Locomotor Movement, Rolling, Throwing
- 1 soft core ball per pair
- 1 glove per player (optional)
- Players line up side-by-side, each with a ball. 1 player begins facing the group, 10 metres away.
- On ‘GO’, 1 player at a time rolls a ground ball in the direction of the other player.
- The player must move to field and return as many ground balls as possible within a certain time.
- Use larger balls
- Allow the players to field the ball before the next ball is rolled
- Increase the rolling distance to give the fielder more time
- Vary the speed of the rolls to challenge the fielder
- Reduce the time between rolls
- Move behind the ball
- Bend at the waist and knees
- Watch the ball into your hands
- How can you field the most ground balls?
- Once you field the ball, what do you need to do to get ready for the next roll?