Coach pitch is a modified game of softball that builds on striking and fielding skills. Coach pitch introduces the skill of hitting a pitched ball.
3 - 4, 5 - 6, Skill Development, Game Concepts
ACPMP043, ACPMP045, ACPMP061, ACPMP063
Catching, Fielding, Shot Placement, Striking, Teamwork, Throwing
- 2 soft core balls and one bat per group
- 1 batting tee
- 4 bases
- 5 batting helmets
- 1 set of catcher’s gear
- Form 1 batting team and 1 fielding team.
- Players take it in turns to bat the ball, which is pitched underarm by the coach or opposition.
- The batter runs around the bases while the fielders field the ball.
A batter is out when:
- A batted ball is caught on the full
- A batted ball is fielded and thrown to 1st base before the batter arrives
- A fielder with the ball touches a base before the runner arrives at the base
- Use a larger ball and foam bat
- Decrease the distance between the bases
- Each batter has 3 attempts to hit the pitched ball. If the player fails to hit the ball into play, the batter may hit the ball from a batting tee.
- Where should you stand to field the ball?
- Where is the best place to hit the ball so you can reach 1st base?