Beat the base is a modified game of softball that builds on fielding, throwing and catching skills and encourages teamwork and thoughtful placement of the ball. It provides a good introduction to softball.
3 - 4, 5 - 6, Skill Development
ACPMP043, ACPMP045, ACPMP061, ACPMP063
Fielding, Teamwork, Throwing
- 3 balls per group
- Marker cones
- 1 glove per player (optional)
- Divide your players into 2 teams; 1 team fields and the other bats.
- The fielding teams must start outside the baselines and are not allowed to move until the batting team has thrown 3 balls into the field of play.
- 1 player from the batting team throws 3 balls into the field of play then runs between markers placed on the 1st base line at 2, 4 and 6 metre intervals.
- Each batter continues to run, each time making a choice of what distance to run to score points until all 3 balls a fielded and thrown to a base.
- Each fielding player at a base must have 1 ball thrown to them, stand on the base and hold the ball in the air to stop the runner from running and scoring runs.
- Use a smaller diamond
- Different players at base, catching each time
How should we stand when waiting to catch the ball?