Beat the ball is a modified game of softball that builds on striking and fielding skills and encourages teamwork and thoughtful placement of the ball. It provides a good introduction to softball.
3 - 4, 5 - 6, Skill Development, Game Concepts
ACPMP043, ACPMP045, ACPMP061, ACPMP063
Catching, Fielding, Shot Placement, Striking, Teamwork, Throwing
- 1 batting tee (or similar)
- 1 foam bat
- 1 foam ball
- 1 marker cone
- Form a batting team and a fielding team.
- The batting team takes turns to hit the ball off the batting tee.
- After the hit, the batter attempts to run around the bases before the ball is thrown to home plate.
- Fielders must field the ball and throw it in turn to 1st, 2nd, 3rd bases and home plate.
- Reduce the distance of the bases
- Players run around a single marker cone set 10 metres away
- Players score 1 point for every time they beat the ball
- If the fielding team successfully catch all 3 throws they earn 1 point
- Encourage awareness of other players
- Instruct players to shout ‘MINE’ or their own name when moving to field the ball
- Ensure a safe distance is kept around the batter at all times
- How can you work as a team to field the ball quickly?